Thursday, November 14, 2013

Those Things That Make Her... Her (on jumping)

You know, I always have these blog idea's rolling around my brain that it seems I never take the time post about.  This topic, is one that is so completely obvious if you spend anytime around my child (which I know most of you don't).  I know that I have mentioned this particular Sarah thing in many other posts, but I really wanted to take the time to write about just this trait. 

Sarah is a jumper, she has been a jumper for most of the past year.  As far as I can remember, it was like it her mission to go through all the motions of learning gross motor skills just to get to jump.  (See, this is why I need to blog more, because time frames get fuzzy)  For forever Sarah has jumped all day long.  You can always find Sarah is a crowd of kids, just look for the bopping head.  When anyone asks about Sarah one of the first things they ask is "Is she still jumping all the time?"  The answer is yes. Yes, she still jumps all the time.  It's just how she shows excitement, and happiness, and joy.  And she's a happy kid, so yeah, the jumping lasts all day long.

Literally almost everything can get a jumping reaction: 
Sarah do you want to wear your black sparkly heart shirt today? A jumping yes reaction before grabbing it from me to "put on"
Sarah notices I filled the basket with wipes. A jumping reaction "Well looky there!" "So many!" "Wow!"
Sarah do you want to go outside and play? A jumping reaction "outside" "out there" "socks and shoes" "jacket" "hold hands!"

And always, always, always jumping!

And those are just a few normal everyday things that I mentioned.  Things that she really loves the jumping last longer and is way more intense. Like say we let her watch TV and it's Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, or we tell her she can have a doughnut or yogurt raisins (her all time favorite treats).  She just can't contain her pure joy and it has to come out and it comes out straight through her feet in the form of jumping.  It one of those things that is just... her.

As you can probably guess, her favorite thing to do at the gym is jump on the trampoline.  The other parents ask me how we taught her to jump so well, but I don't have an answer.  We didn't teach her to jump, she just does it.  God gave her this talent, this joy.  She has this incredible balance and energy. And I love it.  I love it. I love seeing her jumping, I love seeing her joy.  I love seeing her athleticism, I love to see her hopping at the door when I come home from work.  It's just a part of what makes her... her.

I have no idea what she will end up doing with jumping, maybe be a trampoline gymnast, maybe track and field, maybe basketball, maybe karate, maybe dancing, maybe nothing.  I just know that it is inherently a part of her, and it is part of all the many many wonderful things that makes her who she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment